Background and aim
The updated Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer guidelines recommend liver resection (LR) for patients with single hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) of any size. This study developed a preoperative model for predicting early recurrence in patients undergoing LR for single HCC.
Materials and methods
We identified 773 patients undergoing LR for single HCC between 2011 and 2017 from the cancer registry database of our institution. Multivariate Cox regression analyses were performed to construct a preoperative model for predicting early recurrence, i.e., recurrence within 2 years of LR.
Early recurrence was identified in 219 patients (28.3%). The final model of early recurrence included four predictive factors—alpha-fetoprotein level of ≥20 ng/mL, tumor size of >30 mm, Model for End-Stage Liver Disease score of >8, and cirrhosis. Preoperative application of this model provided three risk strata for recurrence-free survival (RFS): low risk, with 2-year RFS of 79.8% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 75.7–84.2%); intermediate risk, with 2-year RFS of 66.6% (95% CI: 61.1–72.6%); and high risk, with 2-year RFS of 51.1% (95% CI: 43.0–60.8%).
We developed a preoperative model for predicting early recurrence after LR for single HCC. This model provides useful information for clinical decision-making.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global, regional, and national cancer incidence, mortality, years of life lost, years lived with disability, and disability-adjusted life-years for 32 cancer groups, 1990 to 2015: a systematic analysis for the global burden of Disease study.JAMA Oncol. 2017; 3: 524-548https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5688
- A global view of hepatocellular carcinoma: trends, risk, prevention and management.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 16: 589-604https://doi.org/10.1038/s41575-019-0186-y
- NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: hepatobiliary cancers.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2009; 7: 350-391https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2009.0027
- EASL-EORTC clinical practice guidelines. management of hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2012; 56: 908-943https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2011.12.001
- Asian pacific association for the study of the liver consensus recommendations on hepatocellular carcinoma.Hepatol Int. 2010; 4: 439-474https://doi.org/10.1007/s12072-010-9165-7
- American association for the study of liver diseases. Management of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1020-1022https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.24199
- Liver resection of hepatocellular carcinoma within and beyond the Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer guideline recommendations: results from a high-volume liver surgery center in East Asia.J Surg Oncol. 2020 Dec; 122: 1587-1594https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.26183
- Comparison of recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after resection in patients with cirrhosis to its occurrence in a surveilled cirrhotic population.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16: 413-422
- Risk factors contributing to early and late phase intrahepatic recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatectomy.J Hepatol. 2003; 38: 200-207
- BCLC strategy for prognosis prediction and treatment recommendation: the 2022 update.J Hepatol. 2022; 76: 681-693https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2021.11.018
- AJCC cancer staging manual.7th ed. Springer, New York2010
- Risk factors and management for early and late intrahepatic recurrence of solitary hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection.HPB (Oxf). 2015; 17: 422-427https://doi.org/10.1111/hpb.12367
- Prognostic value of Ishak fibrosis stage: findings from the hepatitis C antiviral long-term treatment against cirrhosis trial.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 585-594https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.23315
- A model to predict poor survival in patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts.Hepatology. 2000; 31: 864-871https://doi.org/10.1053/he.2000.5852
- Tumor size drives the prognosis after hepatic resection of solitary hepatocellular carcinoma without vascular invasion.J Gastrointest Surg. 2020; 24: 1040-1048https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-019-04273-2
- Differentiating early and late recurrences after resection of HCC in cirrhotic patients: implications on surveillance, prevention, and treatment strategies.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16: 792-794https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-009-0330-y
- Optimal duration of the early and late recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatectomy.World J Gastroenterol. 2015; 21: 1207-1215https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i4.1207
- Early and late recurrence after liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma: prognostic and therapeutic implications.Ann Surg. 2006; 243: 229-235https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000197706.21803.a1
- Effectiveness of the albumin-bilirubin score as a prognostic factor for early recurrence after curative hepatic resection for hepatocellular carcinoma.Ann Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg. 2018; 22: 335-343https://doi.org/10.14701/ahbps.2018.22.4.335
- Change in the recurrence pattern and predictors over time after complete cure of hepatocellular carcinoma.Gut Liver. 2021; 15: 420-429https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl20101
- External validation of a Cox prognostic model:principles and methods.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013; 13: 33https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-13-33
- Clinical and novel application of FibroScan, FIB-4, and aspartate aminotransferaseto-platelet ratio index in liver fibrosis evaluation in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and their roles in esophageal variceal prediction.Int J Clin Pract. 2020; 18e13945https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.13945
- Early and late recurrence of hepatitis B virus-associated hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncol. 2020; 25: e1541-e1551https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2019-0944
- Relationship between mindfulness and psychological distress in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: the mediation effect of self-regulation.Am J Health Behav. 2021; 45: 1041-1049https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.45.6.8
- Liver transplantation and hepatic resection can achieve cure for hepatocellular carcinoma.Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 868-875https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002889
- Benefit of initial resection of hepatocellular carcinoma followed by transplantation in case of recurrence: an intention-to-treat analysis.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 132-140https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.24680
- Hepatic resection versus radiofrequency ablation for very early stage hepatocellular carcinoma: a Markov model analysis.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 1284-1290https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.23466
- Cost-effectiveness of hepatic resection versus percutaneous radiofrequency ablation for early hepatocellular carcinoma.J Hepatol. 2013; 59: 300-307https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2013.04.009
- Small hepatocellular carcinoma: radiofrequency ablation versus nonanatomic resection–propensity score analyses of long-term outcomes.Radiology. 2015; 275: 908-919https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.15141483
- Microwave ablation versus laparoscopic resection as first-line therapy for solitary 3-5-cm HCC.Hepatology. 2022; 76: 66-77https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.32323
- Long-Term outcomes of transarterial radioembolization for large single hepatocellular carcinoma: a comparison to resection.J Nucl Med. 2022; 63: 1215-1222https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.121.263147
- Laparoscopic versus open resection of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis: meta-analysis.Br J Surg. 2021; 109: 21-29https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab376
- Risk factors for early recurrence of single lesion hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection.World J Surg. 2016; 40: 2466-2471https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-016-3529-7
- Glasgow prognostic score predicts survival and recurrence pattern in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatectomy.Anticancer Res. 2023; 43: 875-882https://doi.org/10.21873/anticanres.16230
- A high preoperative platelet-lymphocyte ratio is a negative predictor of survival after liver resection for hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma: a retrospective study.Front Oncol. 2020; 10 (eCollection 2020)576205https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2020.576205
- The impact of resection margin and microvascular invasion on long-term prognosis after curative resection of hepatocellular carcinoma: a multi-institutional study.HPB (Oxf). 2019; 21: 962-971https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hpb.2018.11.005
Published online: March 16, 2023
Accepted: March 11, 2023
Received in revised form: March 4, 2023
Received: January 16, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd, BASO ~ The Association for Cancer Surgery, and the European Society of Surgical Oncology. All rights reserved.