- •Sarcopenia is recognized as a negative prognostic factor in several cancers.
- •Prehabilitation with nutritional support with feeding jejunostomy is a protective factor for sarcopenia occurrence in patients with esogastric junction adenocarcinoma.
- •Sarcopenia occurrence was an independent risk factor for overall survival in patients who underwent surgery.
- •Overall survival was similar between sarcopenic patients after nutritional prehabilitation with a FJ and patients excluded from surgery in palliative situations.
- •The persistence of sarcopenia despite renutrition program could be a selection factor for surgery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Cachexia in patients with oesophageal cancer.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2016 Mar; 13: 185-198
- Assessment of body composition and sarcopenia in patients with esophageal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Dis Esophagus. 2018 Aug 1; ([Internet]) ([cited 2021 Dec 21];31(8). Available from:)
- Could a feeding jejunostomy be integrated into a standardized preoperative management of oeso-gastric junction adenocarcinoma?.Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Oct; 24: 3324-3330
- Pre-operative nutrition support in patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery.(Cochrane Database Syst Rev [Internet]) Cochrane Colorectal Cancer Group, 2012https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD008879.pub2 (Nov 14 [cited 2021 Dec 24]; Available from:)
- Additive value of preoperative sarcopenia and lymphopenia for prognosis prediction in localized pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.Front Oncol. 2021 May 27; 11683289
- Prognostic significance of sarcopenia in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.J Urol. 2016 Jan; 195: 26-32
- Sarcopenia as a prognostic factor for survival in patients with locally advanced gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma.PLoS One. 2019 Oct 22; 14e0223613
- Long-term outcomes of gastric cancer patients with preoperative sarcopenia.Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Jun; 25: 1625-1632
- Changes in body composition secondary to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for advanced esophageal cancer are related to the occurrence of postoperative complications after esophagectomy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Oct; 21: 3675-3679
- Prevention and optimal management of sarcopenia: a review of combined exercise and nutrition interventions to improve muscle outcomes in older people.Clin Interv Aging. 2015 May; 859
- Clinical assessment of sarcopenia and changes in body composition during neoadjuvant chemotherapy for esophageal cancer.Anticancer Res. 2017 Jun; 37: 3053-3059
- Characterization of the effect of in vivo doxorubicin treatment on skeletal muscle function in the rat.Anticancer Res. 2011 Jun; 31: 2023-2028
- The pivotal role of cytokines in muscle wasting during cancer.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2005 Aug; 37: 1609-1619
- Transcriptional activator TAp63 is upregulated in muscular atrophy during ALS and induces the pro-atrophic ubiquitin ligase Trim63.Elife. 2016 Feb 26; 5e10528
- Regulation of a notch3-hes1 pathway and protective effect by a tocopherol-omega alkanol chain derivative in muscle atrophy.J Pharmacol Exp Therapeut. 2015 Jan; 352: 23-32
- How to prevent sarcopenia occurrence during neoadjuvant chemotherapy for oesogastric adenocarcinoma?.Nutr Cancer. 2021 May 28; 73: 802-808
- Simplified calculation of body-surface area.N Engl J Med. 1987 Oct 22; 317 (1098–1098)
- Prevalence and clinical implications of sarcopenic obesity in patients with solid tumours of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts: a population-based study.Lancet Oncol. 2008 Jul; 9: 629-635
- The clavien-dindo classification of surgical complications: five-year experience.Ann Surg. 2009 Aug; 250: 187-196
- The comprehensive complication index: a novel continuous scale to measure surgical morbidity.Ann Surg. 2013 Jul; 258: 1-7
- Diagnostic criteria for malnutrition – an ESPEN consensus statement.Clin Nutr. 2015 Jun; 34: 335-340
- Sarcopenia increases risk of long-term mortality in elderly patients undergoing emergency abdominal surgery.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017 Dec; 83: 1179-1186
- Sarcopenic obesity in older adults: aetiology, epidemiology and treatment strategies.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018 Sep; 14: 513-537
- Health consequences of sarcopenic obesity: a narrative review.Front Endocrinol. 2020 May 21; 11: 332
- Clinical impact of sarcopenia in patients with colon cancer undergoing laparoscopic surgery.Ann Surg Treat Res. 2020; 99: 153
- Prognostic role of sarcopenia in metastatic colorectal cancer patients during first-line chemotherapy: a retrospective study.World J Clin Oncol. 2021 May 24; 12: 355-366
- Sarcopenia: prevalence, and impact on operative and oncologic outcomes in the multimodal management of locally advanced esophageal cancer.Ann Surg. 2017 Nov; 266: 822-830
- Assessment of sarcopenia as a predictor of poor outcomes after esophagectomy in elderly patients with esophageal cancer.Ann Surg. 2018 Jun; 267: 1100-1104
- Markers of sarcopenia quantified by computed tomography predict adverse long-term outcome in patients with resected oesophageal or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer.Eur Radiol. 2016 May; 26: 1359-1367
- Impact of sarcopenia on outcome in patients with esophageal resection following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for esophageal cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol EJSO. 2017 Feb; 43: 478-484
- Systematic review of sarcopenia in patients operated on for gastrointestinal and hepatopancreatobiliary malignancies.Br J Surg. 2015 Oct 12; 102: 1448-1458
- Sarcopenia/muscle mass is not a prognostic factor for short- and long-term outcome after esophagectomy for cancer.World J Surg. 2016 Nov; 40: 2698-2704
- Loss of skeletal muscle mass during neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy predicts postoperative mortality in esophageal cancer surgery.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Dec; 22: 4445-4452
- Sarcopenia as a predictor of pulmonary complications after esophagectomy for thoracic esophageal cancer: sarcopenia and Esophageal Cancer.J Surg Oncol. 2016 May; 113: 678-684
- Sarcopenia and postoperative complication risk in gastrointestinal surgical oncology: a meta-analysis.Ann Surg. 2018 Jul; 268: 58-69
- Sarcopenia related to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and perioperative outcomes in resected gastric cancer: a multi-institutional analysis.J Gastrointest Oncol. 2017 Jun; 8: 589-595
- Sarcopenia is a predictor of postoperative respiratory complications in patients with esophageal cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Dec; 22: 4432-4437