- •About 42% of older patients with cancer in our study used assistance to complete a web-based GA.
- •Use of assistance, and longer time to complete the eRFA, was associated with frailty scores.
- •Frail patients are more likely to benefit from completion of GA to determine appropriate treatment, and because not all patients have a caregiver, innovative solutions are needed to help frail patients complete the eRFA without assistance.
The aim of this study was to assess the degree to which patient frailty is associated with both need for assistance and time required to complete the eRFA, a web-based GA tool.
Materials and Methods
We retrospectively identified patients who underwent surgery for cancer from 2015 to 2020, had a hospital length of stay ≥1 day, and completed the eRFA before surgery. Frailty was assessed using two methods: the MSK-FI (score 0–11) and the AGD (score 0–13). Time to complete the eRFA was automatically recorded by a web-based tool; assistance with eRFA completion was self-reported by the patient.
In total, 3456 patients were included (median age, 78 years). Overall, 58% of surveys were completed without assistance, 30% were completed with assistance, and 12% were completed by someone other than the patient. Younger age (median age: without assistance, 77 years; with assistance, 80 years; completed by someone else, 80 years) and lower frailty score (median AGD: 4, 6, and 8, respectively; median MSK-FI: 2, 3, and 3, respectively) were associated with independency (all p < 0.001). Higher frailty score was associated with longer time to complete the eRFA (all nonlinear association p < 0.001).
Frail patients are more likely to benefit from completion of GA to determine appropriate treatment. Given that not all cancer patients have a caregiver who can assist completing a digital questionnaire, innovative solutions are needed to help frail patients complete the eRFA without assistance.
Abbreviations:AGD (accumulative geriatric deficit), ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologists), CI (confidence interval), eRFA (electronic Rapid Fitness Assessment), GA (geriatric assessment), MSK-FI (Memorial Sloan Kettering Frailty Index)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Toward an understanding of frailty.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 945-950
- Geriatric assessment for oncologists.Cancer Biol Med. 2015; 12: 261
- Reliability, validity, and feasibility of a computer-based geriatric assessment for older adults with cancer.J Oncol Pract. 2016; 12: e1025-e1034
- Electronic rapid fitness assessment: a novel tool for preoperative evaluation of the geriatric oncology patient.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2017; 15: 172-179
- Practical assessment and management of vulnerabilities in older patients receiving chemotherapy: ASCO guideline for geriatric oncology.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 2326
- NCCN Guidelines® insights: older adult oncology, version 1.2021: featured updates to the NCCN guidelines.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2021; 19: 1006-1019
- Memorial Sloan Kettering-Frailty Index (MSK-FI): validation and its relationship with postoperative outcomes of older survivors of cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 172
- Frailty based on the memorial Sloan Kettering Frailty Index is associated with surgical decision making, clinical trial participation, and overall survival among older women with ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2021; 161: 687-692
- Frailty defined by deficit accumulation and geriatric medicine defined by frailty.Clin Geriatr Med. 2011; 27: 17-26
- Geriatric assessment, not ASA Physical Status, is associated with 6-month postoperative survival in patients with cancer aged ≥75 years.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2019; 17: 687-694
- Geriatric assessment in surgical oncology: a systematic review.J Surg Res. 2015; 193: 265-272
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment in the older adult with cancer: a review.Eur Urol Focus. 2017; 3: 330-339
- Communication with older patients with cancer using geriatric assessment: a cluster-randomized clinical trial from the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 196-204
- A geriatric assessment (GA) intervention to reduce treatment toxicity in older patients with advanced cancer: a University of Rochester Cancer Center NCI community oncology research program cluster randomized clinical trial (CRCT).J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 33
- Digital health for geriatric oncology.JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2018; 2: 1-12
- Toward modernization of geriatric oncology by digital health technologies.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2020; 40: 1-7
- Electronic geriatric assessment: is it feasible in a multi-institutional study that included a notable proportion of older African American patients?(Alliance A171603).JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2021; 5: 435-441
- From Eliza to XiaoIce: challenges and opportunities with social chatbots.Front.Inf Technol Electron Eng. 2018; 19: 10-26
- Emerging technologies with potential care and support applications for older people: review of gray literature.JMIR Aging. 2020; 3e17286
- Voice technologies to support aging in place: opportunities and challenges.Innov Aging. 2020; 4: 317
- Use of intelligent voice assistants by older adults with low technology use.ACM Trans Comput Hum Interact. 2020; 27: 1-27
- Empowering dyads of older adults with mild cognitive impairment and their care partners using conversational agents.in: Proceedings of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2021: 1-15
- Voice war: hey Google vs. Alexa vs. Siri. Harvard business school case 718-519.(Revised January 2020.) Available at:https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=54589Date: June 2018Date accessed: April 1, 2022
- Voice-controlled intelligent personal assistants to support aging in place.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 176-179
- Exploring older adults' perception and use of smart speaker-based voice assistants: a longitudinal study.Comput Hum Behav. 2021; 106914
- Racial disparities in automated speech recognition.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2020; 117: 7684-7689
- Addressing loneliness and isolation in older adults: proactive affective agents provide better support.in: 2013 Humaine Association Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction. 2013: 61-66
- "Accessibility came by accident": use of voice-controlled intelligent personal assistants by people with disabilities.in: Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2018: 1-13
Published online: November 08, 2022
Accepted: November 3, 2022
Received in revised form: October 19, 2022
Received: April 25, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Ltd, BASO ~ The Association for Cancer Surgery, and the European Society of Surgical Oncology. All rights reserved.