- •About 42% of older patients with cancer in our study used assistance to complete a web-based GA.
- •Use of assistance, and longer time to complete the eRFA, was associated with frailty scores.
- •Frail patients are more likely to benefit from completion of GA to determine appropriate treatment, and because not all patients have a caregiver, innovative solutions are needed to help frail patients complete the eRFA without assistance.
Materials and Methods
Abbreviations:AGD (accumulative geriatric deficit), ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologists), CI (confidence interval), eRFA (electronic Rapid Fitness Assessment), GA (geriatric assessment), MSK-FI (Memorial Sloan Kettering Frailty Index)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Toward an understanding of frailty.Ann Intern Med. 1999; 130: 945-950
- Geriatric assessment for oncologists.Cancer Biol Med. 2015; 12: 261
- Reliability, validity, and feasibility of a computer-based geriatric assessment for older adults with cancer.J Oncol Pract. 2016; 12: e1025-e1034
- Electronic rapid fitness assessment: a novel tool for preoperative evaluation of the geriatric oncology patient.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2017; 15: 172-179
- Practical assessment and management of vulnerabilities in older patients receiving chemotherapy: ASCO guideline for geriatric oncology.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 2326
- NCCN Guidelines® insights: older adult oncology, version 1.2021: featured updates to the NCCN guidelines.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2021; 19: 1006-1019
- Memorial Sloan Kettering-Frailty Index (MSK-FI): validation and its relationship with postoperative outcomes of older survivors of cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 172
- Frailty based on the memorial Sloan Kettering Frailty Index is associated with surgical decision making, clinical trial participation, and overall survival among older women with ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2021; 161: 687-692
- Frailty defined by deficit accumulation and geriatric medicine defined by frailty.Clin Geriatr Med. 2011; 27: 17-26
- Geriatric assessment, not ASA Physical Status, is associated with 6-month postoperative survival in patients with cancer aged ≥75 years.J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2019; 17: 687-694
- Geriatric assessment in surgical oncology: a systematic review.J Surg Res. 2015; 193: 265-272
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment in the older adult with cancer: a review.Eur Urol Focus. 2017; 3: 330-339
- Communication with older patients with cancer using geriatric assessment: a cluster-randomized clinical trial from the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program.JAMA Oncol. 2020; 6: 196-204
- A geriatric assessment (GA) intervention to reduce treatment toxicity in older patients with advanced cancer: a University of Rochester Cancer Center NCI community oncology research program cluster randomized clinical trial (CRCT).J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 33
- Digital health for geriatric oncology.JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2018; 2: 1-12
- Toward modernization of geriatric oncology by digital health technologies.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2020; 40: 1-7
- Electronic geriatric assessment: is it feasible in a multi-institutional study that included a notable proportion of older African American patients?(Alliance A171603).JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2021; 5: 435-441
- From Eliza to XiaoIce: challenges and opportunities with social chatbots.Front.Inf Technol Electron Eng. 2018; 19: 10-26
- Emerging technologies with potential care and support applications for older people: review of gray literature.JMIR Aging. 2020; 3e17286
- Voice technologies to support aging in place: opportunities and challenges.Innov Aging. 2020; 4: 317
- Use of intelligent voice assistants by older adults with low technology use.ACM Trans Comput Hum Interact. 2020; 27: 1-27
- Empowering dyads of older adults with mild cognitive impairment and their care partners using conversational agents.in: Proceedings of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2021: 1-15
- Voice war: hey Google vs. Alexa vs. Siri. Harvard business school case 718-519.(Revised January 2020.) Available at:https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=54589Date: June 2018Date accessed: April 1, 2022
- Voice-controlled intelligent personal assistants to support aging in place.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 176-179
- Exploring older adults' perception and use of smart speaker-based voice assistants: a longitudinal study.Comput Hum Behav. 2021; 106914
- Racial disparities in automated speech recognition.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2020; 117: 7684-7689
- Addressing loneliness and isolation in older adults: proactive affective agents provide better support.in: 2013 Humaine Association Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction. 2013: 61-66
- "Accessibility came by accident": use of voice-controlled intelligent personal assistants by people with disabilities.in: Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2018: 1-13