- •This multicentre study on 789 patients submitted to gastric cancer surgery found that implementation of a Patient Blood Management program was associated to a expense reduction of −1955 € per patient [95% CI -3764, −119] in healthcare, and of −2243 € [95% CI -4244, −210] in societal costs.
- •The main drivers of this economic saving were reductions in hospital stay, blood transfusions, and post-operative complications.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Allogenic blood transfusion and the prognosis of gastric cancer patients: systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Surg. 2015; 13: 102-110
- The prognostic role of perioperative allogeneic blood transfusions in gastric cancer patients undergoing curative resection: a systematic review and meta-analysis of non-randomized, adjusted studies.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018; 44: 404-419
- The three-pillar matrix of patient blood management. International Society of Blood Transfusion.Science. 2015; 10: 286-294
- The three-pillar matrix of patient blood management-an overview.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2013; 27: 69-84
- Improved postoperative outcomes and reduced transfusion rates after implementation of a Patient Blood Management program in gastric cancer surgery.Eur J Oncol. 2021; 47: 1449-1457
- A model-based cost-effectiveness analysis of Patient Blood Management.Blood Transfus. 2019; 17: 16-26
- Potential economic impact of using a restrictive transfusion trigger among patients undergoing major abdominal surgery.JAMA Surg. 2015; 15: 625-630
- Improved outcomes and reduced costs associated with a health-system-wide patient blood management program: a retrospective observational study in four major adult tertiary-care hospitals.Transfusion. 2017; 57: 1347-1358
- Evaluation of data quality in the Spanish EURECCA esophagogastric cancer registry.Eur J Oncol. 2021; 47: 3081-3087
- ORDRE SLT/71/2020, de 2 de juny, per la qual es regulen els supòsits i conceptes facturables i s’aproven els preus públics corresponents als serveis que presta l'Institut Català de la Salut.DOGC. 2020; 8153: 1-172
Departament de Salut (Generalitat de Catalunya). Banc de sang i teixits. Published online 2021: Professionals. Accessed April 22, 2021. https://www.bancsang.net/.
Nomenclator. Published online 2021. https://nomenclator.org/.
- Economic costs analysis related to complications in general and digestive surgery.Cir Esp. 2018; 96: 292-299
Secretaría de Estado de Economía y Apoyo a la Empresa M de AEyTDigital. INE (Instituto Nacional de Estadística). Accessed April 22, 2021. https://ine.es/index.htm.
- The Clavien-Dindo classification of surgical complications: five-year experience.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 187-196
- An introduction to the bootstrap.Chapman; Hall, 1993
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2021
- Variability in blood and blood component utilization as assessed by an anesthesia information management system.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117: 99-106
- Transfusions in autologous breast reconstructions: an analysis of risk factors, complications, and cost.Ann Plast Surg. 2014; 72: 566-571
- Effective reduction of blood product use in a community teaching hospital: when less is more.Am J Med. 2013; 126: 894-902
- Patient blood management: the best approach to transfusion medicine risk management.Transfus Apher Sci. 2020; 59102779
☆This paper is not based on a previous communication to a society or meeting.