The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prognosis of patients with Siewert type II/III adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction (AEG) with parapyloric lymph node (No. 5 and 6 lymph nodes, PLN) metastasis and to determine the need for PLN dissection for patients with type II/III AEG.
A total of 1008 patients with type II/III AEG who underwent a transabdominal total gastrectomy were enrolled. The long-term surgical outcome of PLN-positive patients and the therapeutic value of PLN dissection were analyzed.
There was no significant difference in the incidence of PLN metastasis between type II and III cancers (5.7% vs. 8.5%, P > 0.05). PLN metastasis was a significant prognostic factor for type II/III cancers (HR 1.63; P = 0.001). Among type II/III cancers, the 5-year survival of patients with PLN-positive cancers was much lower than that of patients with PLN-negative cancers (21.3% vs. 60.8%, P < 0.001). Even after radical resection, the 5-year survival of patients with stage I–III PLN-positive cancers was similar to that of patients with stage IV cancers without PLN metastasis (23.5% vs. 23.1%, P > 0.05). In the analysis of the therapeutic value of lymph node dissection in each station for type II and III cancers after radical resection, lymph nodes with the lowest therapeutic value index after No. 12a were No. 5 and 6 lymph nodes.
Patients with type II/III AEG with PLN metastasis have a poor prognosis, similar to patients with stage IV disease. PLN dissection offers marginal therapeutic value for patients with type II/III AEG.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Correlation between endoscopic macroscopic type and invasion depth for early esophagogastric junction adenocarcinomas.Gastric Cancer. 2011; 14: 22-27
- Clinicopathological features and prognostic factors of adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction according to classification: experiences at a single institution in Japan.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 677-683
- Stomach.in: Townsend C.M. The biological basis of modern surgical practice. 18th ed. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery. Elsevier, 2008: 1265-1266
- Carcinoma of the cardia: is there a place for proximal gastric resection in cancer of the cardia?.Dis Esophagus. 1996; 9: 183-186
- Carcinoma of the cardia: carcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction—classification, pathology and extent of resection.Dis Esophagus. 1996; 9: 173-182
- Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines 2014 (ver. 4).Gastric Cancer. 2017; 20: 1-19
- Prognostic factors in adenocarcinoma of the cardia.Am J Surg. 1995; 169: 316-319
- Total gastrectomy is not necessary for proximal gastric cancer.Surgery. 1998; 123: 127-130
- Laparoscopic double-tract proximal gastrectomy for proximal early gastric cancer.Gastric Cancer. 2014; 17: 562-570
- Feasibility and nutritional benefits of laparoscopic proximal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer in the upper stomach.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: S929-S935
- Results of a nation-wide retrospective study of lymphadenectomy for esophagogastric junction carcinoma.Gastric Cancer. 2017; 20 ([Epub ahead of print]): 69-83
- Pattern of abdominal nodal spread and optimal abdominal lymphadenectomy for advanced Siewert type II adenocarcinoma of the cardia: results of a multicenter study.Gastric Cancer. 2013; 16: 301-308
- The optimal extent of lymph node dissection for adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction differs between Siewert type II and Siewert type III patients.Gastric Cancer. 2015; 18: 375-381
- Adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction: results of surgical therapy based on anatomical/topographic classification in 1002 consecutive patients.Ann Surg. 2000; 232: 353-361
- Preoperative assessment of tumor location and station-specific lymph node status in patients with adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 147-155
- Staging of adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016; 42: 400-406
- Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma – 3rd English edition.Gastric Cancer. 2011; 14: 101-112
- The American Joint Committee on Cancer: the 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual and the future of TNM.Ann Surg Oncol. 2010; 17: 1471-1474
- New method to evaluate the therapeutic value of lymph-node dissection for gastric cancer.Br J Surg. 1995; 82: 346-351
- Ten-year follow-up results of a randomized clinical trial comparing left thoracoabdominal and abdominal transhiatal approaches to total gastrectomy for adenocarcinoma of the oesophagogastric junction or gastric cardia.Br J Surg. 2015; 102: 341-348
- Left thoracoabdominal approach versus abdominal-transhiatal approach for gastric cancer of the cardia or subcardia: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2006; 7: 644-651
- Is adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction different between Japan and western countries? The incidence and clinicopathological features at a Japanese high-volume cancer center.World J Surg. 2009; 33: 95-103
- The relevance of the Siewert classification in the era of multimodal therapy for adenocarcinoma of the gastro-oesophageal junction.J Surg Oncol. 2014; 109: 202-207
- Polish Gastric Cancer Study Group. Differences in prognosis of Siewert II and III oesophagogastric junction cancers are determined by the baseline tumour staging but not its anatomical location.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016; 42: 1215-1221
- Esophagogastric junction adenocarcinoma according to Siewert classification in Taiwan.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16: 3237-3244
- Adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction in Japan: relevance of Siewert's classification applied to 177 cases resected at a single institution.J Am Coll Surg. 1999; 189: 594-601
- Priority of lymph node dissection for Siewert type II/III adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 4252-4259
Published online: September 08, 2017
Accepted: August 25, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd, BASO ~ The Association for Cancer Surgery, and the European Society of Surgical Oncology. All rights reserved.