Laparoscopic gastrectomy (LG) is reported to be associated with faster recovery than open gastrectomy (OG); however, the influence of the surgical approach on initiation timing of adjuvant chemotherapy (AC) remains unclear.
This was a single-institutional retrospective observational study. Patients with pathological stage II/III gastric cancer undergoing LG with D2 lymphadenectomy (LG group: n = 74) were matched 1:1 with patients selected from 214 similar patients undergoing OG (OG group: n = 74), identically matching gender, age, pathological stage, and type of gastrectomy, and comparing AC initiation timing between the two groups. Factors associated with delayed initiation of AC were investigated in a multivariable analysis.
AC was performed in 86.5% (LG) and 83.8% (OG) of patients (p = 0.64). The median time interval before AC was significantly shorter in the LG vs. OG group (5.7 vs. 6.6 weeks, respectively, p < 0.001), and significantly more patients received AC within 6 weeks (60.8% vs. 27.0%, p < 0.001). Independent factors associated with delayed initiation of AC (>6 weeks) were: morbidity (≥grade 3a; odds ratio (OR): 16.1, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.86–143), open surgery (OR: 5.17, 95% CI: 2.50–13.1), and postoperative weight loss ≥ 8% (OR: 2.47, 95% CI: 1.07–5.71).
LG may be associated with shorter intervals before AC. Postoperative morbidity should be reduced as much as possible.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0. Cancer Incidence MortalityWorldwide.IARC CancerBase. 2012; (2012. [accessed May 15, 2015])
- Surgical treatment of gastric cancer: 15-year follow-up results of the randomised nationwide Dutch D1D2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 439-449
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer with S-1, an oral fluoropyrimidine.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 1810-1820
- Adjuvant capecitabine and oxaliplatin for gastric cancer after D2 gastrectomy (CLASSIC): a phase 3 open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2012; 379: 315-321
- Early initiation of chemotherapy following complete resection of advanced ovarian cancer associated with improved survival: NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group studydagger.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 114-121
- Does delaying adjuvant chemotherapy after curative surgery for colorectal cancer impair survival? A meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46: 1049-1055
- Association between time to initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy and survival in colorectal cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2335-2342
- Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines 2014 (ver.4).Gastric Cancer. 2017; 20: 1-19
- Proper timing of adjuvant chemotherapy affects survival in patients with stage 2 and 3 gastric cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 224-231
- S-1 adjuvant chemotherapy earlier after surgery clinically correlates with prognostic factors for advanced gastric cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 546-551
- Laparoscopy-assisted Billroth I gastrectomy.Surg Laparosc Endosc. 1994; 4: 146-148
- History of minimally invasive surgery for gastric cancer in Korea.J Gastric Cancer. 2012; 12: 13-17
- Minimally invasive approaches for gastric cancer-Japanese experiences.J Surg Oncol. 2013; 107: 282-288
- Laparoscopic versus open distal gastrectomy for gastric cancer: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and high-quality nonrandomized studies.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 446-456
- Laparoscopic versus open D2 gastrectomy for advanced gastric cancer: a retrospective cohort study.Surg Endosc. 2013; 27: 286-294
- Efficacy of laparoscopic subtotal gastrectomy with D2 lymphadenectomy for locally advanced gastric cancer: the protocol of the KLASS-02 multicenter randomized controlled clinical trial.BMC Cancer. 2015; 15: 355
- A multi-institutional, prospective, phase II feasibility study of laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy with D2 lymph node dissection for locally advanced gastric cancer (JLSSG0901).World J Surg. 2015; 36: 2734-2741
- Morbidity and mortality of laparoscopic versus open D2 distal gastrectomy for advanced gastric cancer: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 1350-1357
- Phase II study of adjuvant chemotherapy of S-1 plus oxaliplatin for patients with stage III gastric cancer after D2 gastrectomy.Gastric Cancer. 2017; 20: 175-181
- 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual: stomach.Ann Surg Oncol. 2010; 17: 3077-3079
- Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma: 3rd English edition.Gastric Cancer. 2011; 14: 101-112
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- Inflammatory response in laparoscopic vs. open surgery for gastric cancer.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2014; 49: 1027-1034
- Impact of infectious complications on gastric cancer recurrence.Gastric Cancer. 2015; 18: 368-374
- Poor survival rate in patients with postoperative intra-abdominal infectious complications following curative gastrectomy for gastric cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 1575-1583
- Body weight loss after surgery is an independent risk factor for continuation of S-1 adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 2000-2006
- Total laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: oncologic advantages over open approaches?.Ann Surg. 2014; 260: 633-640
- Factors implicated for delay of adjuvant chemotherapy in colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of observational studies.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 3793-3802
- Laparoscopy mitigates adverse oncological effects of delayed adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 493-499
- Minimally invasive pancreaticoduodenectomy does not improve use or time to initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy for patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 1026-1033
Published online: January 29, 2017
Accepted: January 12, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd, BASO ~ The Association for Cancer Surgery, and the European Society of Surgical Oncology. All rights reserved.