Melanoma accounts for only a small percentage of all skin malignancies, but it is responsible for the majority of deaths from cutaneous cancers. Although most patients are diagnosed at early stages of disease and can be cured surgically, still there are significant numbers of patients at disease stage 3–4 where other treatment modalities may be necessary. Recent developments and approvals in immunotherapy and targeted agents have significantly changed the landscape of melanoma therapy in the metastatic setting, and they show promise for adjuvant treatment in high-risk locoregional disease.
- Garbe C.
- Peris K.
- Hauschild A.
- et al.
Diagnosis and treatment of melanoma. European consensus-based interdisciplinary guideline update 2016.
Eur J Cancer. 2016; 63: 201-217
- NCCN Guidelines
- Ugurel S.
- Roehmel J.
- Ascierto P.A.
- et al.
Survival of patients with advanced metastatic melanoma: the impact of novel therapies.
Eur J Cancer. 2016; 53: 125-134
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diagnosis and treatment of melanoma. European consensus-based interdisciplinary guideline update 2016.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 63: 201-217
- Melanoma.(Version 2)2016
- Survival of patients with advanced metastatic melanoma: the impact of novel therapies.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 53: 125-134
- Sentinel node biopsy in melanoma: current controversies addressed.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Aug 24; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30852-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.08.007): 517-534
- The long-term results and prognostic significance of cutaneous melanoma surgery using sentinel node biopsy with triple technique.World J Surg Oncol. 2015 Oct 13; 13: 299
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma: American Society of clinical oncology and Society of surgical oncology joint clinical practice guideline.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 3313-3324
- Role for lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy in patients with thick (> or =4 mm) primary melanoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2000; 7: 160-165
- (Neo)adjuvant systemic therapy for melanoma.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Jul 11; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30637-0. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.07.001): 535-544
- Diagnosis and treatment of in-transit melanoma metastases.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Oct 27; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30941-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.10.005): 545-561
- Measuring the quality of melanoma surgery – highlighting issues with standardization and quality assurance of care in surgical oncology.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Jun 29; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30604-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.06.397): 562-572
- Standardization and quality control of surgical treatment of cutaneous melanoma: looking for consensus of the Italian Melanoma Intergroup.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015; 41: 148-156
- Number of excised lymph nodes as a quality assurance measure for lymphadenectomy in melanoma.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 700-706
- Metastasectomy in cutaneous melanoma.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Nov 13; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30963-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.11.001): 573-581
- Surgical treatment options for stage IV melanoma.Surg Clin N Am. 2014; 94: 1075-1089
- Developments in targeted therapy in melanoma.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Nov 5; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30952-0. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.10.014): 582-594
- Improved survival with vemurafenib in melanoma with BRAF V600E mutation.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2507-2516
- Dabrafenib in BRAF-mutated metastatic melanoma: a multicentre, open-label, phase-3 randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 358-365
- Improved survival with MEK inhibition in BRAF-mutated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 107-114
- Dabrafenib and trametinib versus dabrafenib and placebo for Val600 BRAF-mutant melanoma: a multicentre, double-blind, phase 3 randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 386: 444-451
- Genomic analysis and 3-y efficacy and safety update of COMBI-d: a phase 3 study of dabrafenib (D) + trametinib (T) vs D monotherapy in patients (pts) with unresectable or metastatic BRAF V600E/K-mutant cutaneous melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2016; (suppl; abstr 9502): 34
- Improved overall survival in melanoma with combined dabrafenib and trametinib.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 30-39
- Two year estimate of overall survival in COMBI-v, a randomized, open-label, phase III study comparing the combination of dabrafenib and trametinib with vemurafenib as fist-line therapy in patients with unresectable or metastatic BRAF V600E/K mutation-positive cutaneous melanoma.Eur Cancer Congr. 2015; 51 (abstract 3301): S663
- Combined vemurafenib and cobimetinib in BRAF-mutated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1867-1876
- Update of progression-free survival (PFS) and correlative biomarker analysis from coBRIM: phase III study of cobimetinib (cobi) plus vemurafenib (vem) in advanced BRAF-mutated melanoma.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33 (abstract 9006)
- Improved overall survival (OS) with cobimetinib (COBI) + vemurafenib (V) in advanced BRAF-mutated melanoma and biomarker correlates of efficacy.Soc Melanoma Res. 2015; (LBA 1)
- Immunotherapy of melanoma.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016, Aug 2; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30684-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.07.014): 595-604
- Immunotherapy in melanoma: recent advances and future directions.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Sep 2; 43 (pii: S0748-7983(16)30866-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2016.07.145): 605-612
- Pembrolizumab versus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2521-2532
- Pembrolizumab versus ipilimumab for advanced melanoma: final overall survival analysis of KEYNOTE-006.J Clin Oncol. 2016; (suppl; abstr 9504): 34
- Nivolumab in previously untreated melanoma without BRAF mutation.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 320-330
- Combined nivolumab and ipilimumab or monotherapy in untreated melanoma.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 23-34
- Updated results from a phase III trial of nivolumab (NIVO) combined with ipilimumab (IPI) in treatment-naive patients (pts) with advanced melanoma (MEL) (CheckMate 067).J Clin Oncol. 2016; (suppl; abstr 9505): 34
Published online: December 14, 2016
Accepted: December 6, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ltd, BASO ~ The Association for Cancer Surgery, and the European Society of Surgical Oncology. All rights reserved.