To develop nomogram for prediction of postoperative delirium (POD) in patients undergoing ablative and reconstruction surgery for head and neck cancer.
Total 341 patients were retrospectively analyzed, and clinical variables in preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative periods were compared between delirium group (n = 89) and non-delirium group (n = 252). Multivariate logistic regression, receiver operating characteristics curve, and area under the curve (AUC) were used to generate and test a nomogram, which performance was evaluated by 10-fold cross validation (CV) procedure.
In univariate and multivariate analysis, age, history of psychiatric disorder, marital status, preoperative numeric rating scale for pain, ASA classification, and ICU stay period were identified as significant risk factors. Using these factors, nomogram for predicting the POD was developed and it showed sensitivity of 61.8%, specificity of 75.4%, PPV of 47.0%, and NPV of 84.8% (Youden's index of 0.372). In 10-fold cross validation set, corresponding values were 44.9%, 84.1%, 50.0% and 81.2% (Youden's index of 0.337). AUC was comparable between two sets (0.7407 and 0.6898).
Proposed nomogram showed fair discriminative power for POD risk in head and neck cancer patients undergoing major surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Surgical Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Preventing postoperative delirium.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2015; 112: 289-296
- Postoperative delirium and cognitive dysfunction.Br J Anaesth. 2009; 103: i41-i46
- Postoperative delirium in cardiac surgery: an unavoidable menace?.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015; 29: 1677-1687
- Pre- and intraoperative predictors of delirium after open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.Ann Vasc Dis. 2015; 8: 215-219
- Preoperative risk factors of postoperative delirium after transurethral prostatectomy for benign prostatic hyperplasia.Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015; 8: 4569-4574
- Delirium after open cardiac surgery:systematic review of prevalence, risk factors and consequences.Laeknabladid. 2015; 101: 305-311
- Predicting postoperative delirium after vascular surgical procedures.J Vasc Surg. 2015; 62: 183-189
- Risk factors contributing to postoperative delirium in geriatric patients postorthopedic surgery.Asia Pac Psychiatry. 2015; 7: 375-382
- Risk factors for postoperative delirium in patients after coronary artery bypass grafting: a prospective cohort study.J Crit Care. 2015; 30: 606-612
- Preoperative identification of patients at risk for delirium after major head and neck cancer surgery.Laryngoscope. 1995; 105: 1066-1068
- Risk factors for postoperative delirium in patients undergoing head and neck cancer surgery.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 34: 33-36
- Clinical observations of postoperative delirium after surgery for oral carcinoma.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 38: 661-665
- Incidence and risk factors of postoperative delirium in patients with esophageal cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 3963-3970
- Postoperative delirium in head and neck cancer patients: a survey of oncologic oral and maxillofacial surgeon practices.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72: 2591-2600
- Risk factors associated with postoperative delirium after surgery for oral cancer.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015; 43: 1094-1098
- Effect of dexmedetomidine on preventing agitation and delirium after microvascular free flap surgery: a randomized, double-blind, control study.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 73: 1065-1072
- Nomograms. Introduction.Semin Urol Oncol. 2002; 20: 79-81
- Postoperative nomogram for disease-specific survival after an R0 resection for gastric carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3647-3650
- How to build and interpret a nomogram for cancer prognosis.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 1364-1370
- What is a real nomogram?.Semin Oncol. 2010; 37: 23-26
- External validation and comparison of two nomograms predicting the probability of Gleason sum upgrading between biopsy and radical prostatectomy pathology in two patient populations: a retrospective cohort study.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2015; 45: 1091-1095
- Development and external validation of nomograms predictive of response to radiation therapy and overall survival in nasopharyngeal cancer patients.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 1303-1311
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM).American psychiatric association, Washington, DC1994 (p. 143–7)
- Assessing pain in older people with persistent pain: the NRS is valid but only provides part of the picture.J Pain. 2010; 11: 1259-1266
- Use of the American Society of Anesthesiologists physical status classification system in research.Anesth Analg. 2013; 117: 752
- Using cross-validation to evaluate predictive accuracy of survival risk classifiers based on high-dimensional data.Brief Bioinform. 2011; 12: 203-214
- Index for rating diagnostic tests.Cancer. 1950; 3: 32-35
- AJCC cancer staging handbook.7th ed. Springer, New York2010
- Association between intraoperative blood pressure and postoperative delirium in elderly hip fracture patients.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0123892
- Impact of multicomponent, nonpharmacologic interventions on perioperative cortisol and melatonin levels and postoperative delirium in elderly oral cancer patients.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 62: 112-117
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of risk factors for postoperative delirium among older patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery.Br J Surg. 2016; 103: e21-e28
- Incidence and risk factors of postoperative delirium in elderly patients who underwent laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2016; 31: 67-73
- Depression and postoperative complications: an overview.BMC Surg. 2016; 16: 5
- Factors associated with recovery from early postoperative delirium.J Perianesth Nurs. 2011; 26: 231-241
- Incidence and risk factors of postoperative delirium in elderly patients undergoing transurethral resection of prostate: a prospective cohort study.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2016; 12: 137-142
Published online: October 13, 2016
Accepted: September 29, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Ltd, BASO ~ The Association for Cancer Surgery, and the European Society of Surgical Oncology. All rights reserved.